Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Geronimo - The last free Apache

When Navy seals assassinated Osama bin Laden, they sent a coded message back to their American handlers.
Geronimo EKIA
EKIA stands for enemy killed in action. But who was Geronimo?

Geronimo



Apache used to live in a America long ago. They were the original citizens.

When 'white man' set foot in America - Apache became a hunted community. Mexicans set 'scalps' on their head of their leaders. The Americans enclosed them in 'reservations'. Slowly but surely, this proud civilization began to die out.

Goyahkla aka Geronimo was born in 1829.
I was born on the prairies where the wind blew free and there was nothing to break the light of the sun. I was born where there were no enclosures
His mother, his wife and three little children and other member of the tribe were slaughtered by Spanish troops in 1857.
Late one afternoon when returning from town we were met by a few women and children who told us that Mexican troops from some other town had attacked our camp, killed all the warriors of the guard, captured all our ponies, secured our arms, destroyed our supplies, and killed many of our women and children. Quickly we separated, concealing ourselves as best we could until nightfall, when we assembled at our appointed place of rendezvous--a thicket by the river. Silently we stole in one by one: sentinels were placed, and, when all were counted, I found that my aged mother, my young wife, and my three small children were among the slain. There were no lights in camp, so without being noticed I silently turned away and stood by the river. How long I stood there I do not know, but when I saw the warriors arranging for a council I took my place.
He decided to take revenge. He conducted vicious raids against Mexicans and United Stated. With a small band, he evaded and terrorized the foreign settlers for more than 25 years. He surrendered in 1886.

When he surrendered, his group consisted of 16 men, 12 women and 6 children.

The final hunt to capture Geronimo required around 5000 US and 3000 Mexican army-men apart from roughly 500 scouts.

No comments: